Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Southern Hospitality


September 8, 2010

Oh goodness. Alrighty, well after school around 4:45PM one of the third grade teachers called the English teachers’ office and asked for me. Her name is Sujin and she is one of the younger third grade homeroom teachers. I’ve only talked to her a couple of times but she has a kind face and she knows enough English to converse with me with a little difficulty. The couple of times we talked we spoke about her studying Japanese language and culture. She told me that her friend is Japanese and when he came to Korea he had to learn the Korean language and that he found some really good books that helped him learn pretty quick. I told Sujin that I really wanted to learn Korean so she said she would ask her friend which books he used. Come to find out, she bought two sets of books, one set for me and the other for Michael. She called the English office today and asked if I could meet her on the first floor. She gave me the books and I was like “wait, tell me how much they were and I will pay you for these.” She kept saying “no, no, no, it’s a gift from me.” I was so surprised! I don’t even know her and she bought me these Korean work books so that I could learn the language. She said that she understands how it is to be in my situation in a completely different culture. She went to Japan for 1 year and she said that she understands how difficult and overwhelming it can be to be in a foreign place. Such a sweetheart! I kept pleading with her to let me give her some money but she wouldn’t have it. AND she told me that she was leaving our school to go back to Japan! So I don’t even have time to really get to know her. I told her that we need to go out before she leaves at the end of this month, at least ONE time before she leaves. I just couldn’t believe it; that was so incredibly sweet of her and I was very thankful to her.  I will be my own Korean language teacher! Bring it on!

 Michael and I were supposed to go out with some friends that live in the same district but plans were changed. Our co-teacher, Simon, said that his wife called and asked that we come over for dinner tonight. We gladly accepted his invitation (when we were at EPIK they told us that anytime your teacher invites you ANYWHERE, you go…no questions asked and if you have other plans you better cancel them) so we headed to his apartment after school.  His two little boys (ages 6 and 8) immediately greeted us as we were getting out of the car. They were adorable little boys and very energetic. His wife greeted us at the door and invited us in. Their apartment was very cozy and it was evident that two little boys occupied the living area because there were marker stains on the floor and the walls J. His wife had the table set up with lettuce, kimchi (two different types), Korean miso soup, different sauces, egg, sausage, and raw meat that was to be cooked on a hot plate thing. She had beef and duck! Man, it was delicious. I kept telling her that she was an amazing cook and that the sauces were amazing. I mean, finger-licking good. Between me, Michael, Simon, his wife, and Yuri, all of the food was eaten…it was amazing. Then afterwards we  had some coffee and fruit. The conversation flowed very well. Simon’s wife did not speak very much English at all but Simon and Yuri helped to include her in the conversation. It was a great night with our co-teachers and I felt honored to be invited into his home. I look forward to more invitations! J




2 comments:

  1. Man, Nance. I LOVE reading your blog. You will also be MY Korean teacher, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. man...i can't wait to come visit!!! and my korean teacher

    ReplyDelete