Thursday, August 19, 2010

Spreading My Wings


August 18, 2010
‘Spreading My Wings’

Cale,

It is 2 hours and 44 minutes before our arrival time in Korea; we have 1406 miles to fly before we reach our destination; we are flying at an altitude of 38101 feet.  I was thinking that maybe I should keep a log of some sort that describes my experiences while I’m in Korea. Maybe I could do a blog but I’m not sure if people would read it and I’m not sure how often I would keep up with it…basically, if I do it this way I feel as though it would be less pressure ;) If I do start a blog…this can be my first post lol, but for now it can suffice as an attachment I send to you in the first email.  J

Well the wait for the plane was not as bad as I was thinking. The time went by pretty fast since I was texting people and went on facebook for the last hour we were waiting for our flight to be called for boarding. When we got on the plane my mom’s backpack almost didn’t fit in the overhead bin because it was too wide lol it was like the PERFECT fit no lie. I took pictures of the welcome goodies we each had on our chairs when we got to our seats… pretty awesome and they even had little slippers lol. I also took pictures and video of the screens we have on the back of all the seats in the economy section of the flight. I mean really? There’s a touch screen on the back of all the seats and a little remote that it attached to it for easy navigation. There are options such as: movies, music, games, flight camera, etc. and then under all of those options there are sub categories like new releases, pop/rock, classical, front or rear camera, etc. I mean…it’s pretty darn neat. Like Naomi said, “who needs first class?!”

The food on the plane is really good too…way better than expected. The first meal was a choice between bi bim bop and something else (the moment I heard bi bim bop I toned her out because I was so excited about eating that meal). It didn’t even taste like airplane food really. They had the sesame oil and red bean paste in little squeeze tubes like toothpaste. Soooo Gooood! Then they kept coming by with juices and wines and such (no I did not have a glass of wine).  The second meal was a choice between beef stew and pasta (you know I can’t pass up beef stew regardless of where it’s from) and it seriously was not half bad. It definitely tasted better than any microwavable beef stew I’ve had. I was pleasantly surprised.  I just really like Korean Air. The flight attendants are so sweet and their outfits/uniforms are so pretty; makes them look like beautiful, porcelain, Asian dolls. Overall rating of Korean Air: 10 out of 10. Will I choose to fly Korean Air again? Most definitely; will be my first choice.



I got a window seat, which is awesome, however…the only downfall would be the whole getting up to go to the bathroom thing. There is a third person in our row and I feel so rude asking her to get up (sometimes I had to wake her from her nap) so that I can relieve myself. I kept holding it in until it was absolutely necessary that I go.  The first time I had to go, the “isle seat stranger” was sleeping and I had to wake her up…I felt TERRIBLE but she did make me feel a little better by saying that she knows how it feels because on her flight to the U.S. she was on the inside and had to do the same thing. What a relief, thank goodness.

Aside from the frequent turbulence we experienced for the first several hours (I had several flashbacks of the movie Final Destination…terrible I know, Hollywood has completely ruined me), the flight was seriously not bad AT ALL because of their movie selections and I was able to watch like 3 movies that I had intended to see before I cancelled my Netflix membership. The time pretty much ‘flew’ by…pun intended ;)

I keep thinking about the year ahead and what’s in store for me. I have to say I am way more nervous than anything and I’m scared that I will end up wanting to quit and come back. If that does happen I will be extremely upset and disappointed in myself…probably will never forgive myself. So, I will need your help to keep me upbeat, encouraged, and high spirited. I will let you know when I am down in the dumps because of a bad day or a bad experience and I will turn to you to hear me out ok? J I miss you already. This will be one of the most difficult things I’ve ever set out to do and definitely is the most spontaneous thing I’ve EVER done. Thank you for your support and I can’t wait to skype with you! I love you.

1 comment: