Sunday, August 29, 2010

Haknam Elementary

Friday August 27th

Michael and I worked it out to where we will meet Monday-Friday mornings at 8:10AM in a mini-park right outside of my apartment so that we can walk to school together. This was the first day we tested out our plan and it worked perfectly. It only took like 7 minutes to walk to our school so we were a bit early. Before we set foot in the school, everyone has to take off their shoes and put on their slippers (no complaints here, I would love to stand all day in some comfortable slippers!). We met the principle and vice principles (2 vice principles) and they seemed very nice. We just said “hi” and sat around while they talked in Korean. They said I had a really kind face and they told Michael he was very handsome and that he looked like Matt Damon lol. They said I looked Korean and I told them about Mom. It took them a while to understand why I don’t speak Korean…took me a long time to understand why too! Lol. After our little chat we went upstairs to the fourth floor where our offices are. The English teachers share an office that is placed in the back of the 5th grade room. Pretty roomy and each teacher has a computer (except for me because I don’t think they knew with enough notice that they were getting two teachers).

At this point we were told that I would co-teach the 3rd and 5th grade and Michael would teach 4th and 6th grade. The 5th grade English teacher asked if I would like to observe and I said yes. I had to introduce myself in font of the class and the children were all very interested in me. After a quick intro, I stepped to the back and watched Mina teach. She is quite wonderful with the students. I could tell they respected her and when she needed their attention she would just be silent and stare until they directed their attention to her. The 5th and 6th grade teachers are supplied with a smart-board (Tash, I’m so sad I will not be able to utilize this! It looks so neat and totally handy in the classroom!). They have an English textbook for each grade and the English learning begins at grade 3. The book comes along with a CD for the teachers that includes different voice recordings and sing-a-longs for the children to partake in. As I was watching, I was getting really excited be I have several different ideas that I want to run by my co-teachers in the 3rd and 4th grades. I want to incorporate games and fun music so I’m totally ready to start lesson planning.

After a little discussion, our four co-teachers decided that it would be better and easier if I teach 3rd and 4th grade while Michael teaches 5th and 6th grade. I completely agreed because it just made more sense and each of the co-teachers would just have to plan with one of us rather than both me and Michael. So I will be working with Suri (she’s a newer teacher at the elementary school) and she teaches 4th grade. I was able to observe her class and she seemed like she was very positive and kept the attention of the children without a hitch. I’m really excited to teach with her because she expressed, right off the bat, that I am welcome to share ANY ideas I have about the lessons and she seems like she WANTS me to be there. That was a major relief because we heard some horror stories about some teachers who will not let you really teach. This should be a great partnership. As far as the 3rd grade teacher goes, she seems very nice and the other English teachers call her the “mother” of the teachers because she’s always looking out for everyone. I haven’t had a chance to observe her class but I’m sure I will this next coming week.

Apparently our day starts around 8:40AM and the teaching ends around 12:00PM. After that we eat lunch and then stay at school until about 4:00pm to lesson plan and such. So I will be working 40 hours but teaching only 22 hours…if that makes sense.

So I got even more sick this day and one of my co-teachers Simon, was so gracious and took me to the hospital to get a shot and some medication. This is now the 3rd time I’ve gotten sick…this is the sickness from HELL. I CAN’T get rid of it! ☹ This whole weekend I will have to be inside doing NOTHING, while everyone is out at the Body Painting Festival, which is all I’ve been talking about since the last week. Stupid sickness.

1 comment:

  1. DANG! STILL sick?! WTH?!

    I can't believe they give you SOOOO much planning time. LUCKY. That's why I work so much on evenings and weekends. We don't get planning time. And I really wish you had a SMartboard, Nance. They're the bomb! Glad you like your peops.

    ReplyDelete