Monday, October 18, 2010

Catching up on growing up

October 18, 2010

Well goodness gracious it's certainly has been quite a while since I've updated my blog. I simply cannot believe it's already towards the end of October. I'm losing track of my days. On October ninth me along with several other foreign teachers decided to go to Global Gathering. It was held in Seoul, South Korea but it didn't take very long for the people located in Daegu to get there by train...maybe like three hours. Mike, Gems, Donnie, and I all arrived there about 1:00PM-ish and met up with others to eat before the concert.

 
I was honestly not exactly pumped about being at global gathering because the music they were going to be playing was techno, which I have never been interested in. My group of friends back home never listened to techno so this was definitely going to be an experience. Once we got there it reminded me of Vans Warped Tour that I went to many, many years ago in the way that the venue was laid out. There were three different stages that featured different electronic bands. It was a perfect day do have an outdoor concert like this...just beautiful. I have to say...I had a pretty darn good time. Mostly because I was in great company and several of my friends were there but also because the music is just fun to jump around to! I mean, literally you could really just jump around without a care in the world listening to the music and letting your body move to the rhythms. Pretty darn awesome. Fatboy Slim was the only band I'd heard of before this concert but the best ones were Armin Van Buuren and Justice...apparently they're pretty popular as well. I really liked their music, a new-found interest I'd say. The concert ended at 4:00am and our train was leaving at 6:30AMish so we all just stayed up, hung around the park until we had to make our way to the train station. By the time we got home it was about 9:00AM and I ended up just crashing at Gems because we were both extremely exhausted. Yes, we stayed up for a full day, 24 hours. I'm pretty proud of myself.

The next Tuesday, we decided to have a girls night out and see a ballet, A Midsummer Night's Dream. Now, because of my interests in music, dance, and performances I thought I would be really enthused about this ballet. It was good but I expected to like it more. I think I prefer to watch performances with dialogue and a storyline that is cut and dry instead of having to figure out what/who the characters were. I'm sure it would've helped had I done a tad bit of research on A Midsummer Night's Dream before actually seeing it...but either way...I think I would prefer different types of performances. It was a good show though, I think. It was a tad bit awkward at the curtain call, however, because the audience did not cease their clapping so the performers bowed literally like ten times. Typically the main performers will come out on the stage, bow, then they will give the others a turn at their bows...then all together come to the front of the stage, the entire cast will bow together, curtains close. Well, because the audience kept clapping...the performers ran through that sequence 10 times. It was very awkward...so we left and they were still clapping (I don't think they really knew what to do and the dancers were also confused as the looks on their faces clearly displayed). Then we figured out that it was something with the lighting as well...the dancers did not get their cue to go off stage lol. Oh goodness.

Since then nothing too interesting. Since my mother moved out (yes, she was living with me in my shoebox apartment...) I really feel like an independent woman. It's very strange. Today I cleaned my entire apartment while doing two loads of laundry...who is this person? I'm glad we've decided to meet! Twenty-three years it took me to do my own laundry and clean. How insane is that? I have learned I'm not as dirty of a person as I (and my mother/sisters) thought I was. I don't like dirt on the floor or seeing dust bunnies anywhere in my apartment. When I was taking a shower, I even went so far as to take a dirty toothbrush and scrub some spots that I just couldn't look at anymore. So strange. I'm also quite comfortable with sitting in silence when I'm on the computer and such. I actually cooked some mandu today as well. Now, mind you, all I had to do was put a little cooking oil in the pan and throw those bad boys in...that's a MAJOR step forward for me. I DON'T cook. I kind of like not having someone do it for me for a change, I can do it myself and I'm completely fine with it. At least I know now that I will not live in a pigsty when I move back. Thank goodness.

Other than the fact that I've recently had to make a very difficult decision regarding my personal life (let's not get into the nitty-gritty details), everything is just grand. Life here moves a million miles an hour and I'm along for the ride. This next weekend several of us are going to the National Fireworks Festival in Busan and I'm pretty darn excited about that...maybe I'll get a new camera by then...

Also, I'm sick once again...yippee! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment